Design of the CTSN was subject to the following constraints provided by the Customer:
- Modules will detect commuters and the path they are taking.
- Modules will determine the mode of transportation used by the commuter.
- Modules will be deployed for a week of time without need for maintenance.
- Trail modules will be able to intercommunicate via a network.
- Data gathered by the network will be stored via a cloud solution.
- Data will be accessible via a website interface to a limited set of users, including stakeholders and developers.
- The website will display the status of each trail node, and provide basic control of the nodes.
The design has been subdivided into multiple categories due to complexity in research, design and implementation. Information related to each subsystem can be accessed from the menu to the left.